-
March 27th, 2002, 09:09 PM
#1
squire
Guest
Hi,
I'm not exactly new to Super 8, but it's been awhile. I used to use it a lot when I was shooting movies as a kid 15 years ago, and in college 10 years ago. Now, I'm back--or at least working on it.
I became very discouraged back then because I had lousy lighting. I want to get this right this time. What sort of lighting do you all use for interior shots? It seems pretty pricey for real light kits. Robert Rodriguez swore he just used two regular bulbs for El Mriachi! I was looking at those 500 watt halogen lights they sell at Wal Mart to use in garages. They're only about $30. Can they be modified to work for films? Don't laugh, but that's the sort of budget I'm on right now. I really want to get off the digital 8 video thing as soon as I can afford it!
Thanks for any advice, and for all the great info I've already gotten off this board. Hope I'll be able to contribute pretty soon.
Thanks,
Matthew
------------------
ML
-
March 27th, 2002, 09:47 PM
#2
Konton
Guest
Robert Rodriguez used two 250w light bulbs that were color balanced at 3200K. If you are using indoor film these would also work for you. You could either put them in work lamps from Ace hardware for use with 250w bulbs, or get socket extenders so they don't over heat in a socket not gauged for 250w.
------------------
Konton the Grey
-
March 28th, 2002, 06:04 AM
#3
Nigel
Guest
What people claim to have used and what they really did use are two different things. I would look at some of the smaller Lowell lights like the DP, Tota and Omni. Stay away from the Pro. Good Luck
------------------
-
March 28th, 2002, 03:04 PM
#4
#Pedro
Guest
2x250 W with K40 footage will only work for some close-ups... much too dimm for a real lighting.
The lighting not only depends on the wattage of the halogen bulb, but also on the kind of reflector. Once I had a 650 W Reflecta camera light (for acc. socket mounting). After it had broken, I could not find a lamp with the same wattage anymore (video seems to need no light at all) and so I bought a small size Kaiser light with 150W halogen and exchanged the bulb to 300 W. Because of the intelligent designed reflector, it came out BRIGHTER than the old 650 W light I had!
And thats why I believe that garage lamps won?t really work.
Well,this camera light gives a flash-foto characteristic and is good for shooting at parties or where you cannot afford any special light installation. It works in mid sized rooms up to 4...5 meters.
For good lighting I use the camera light and two add halogen lights, a main light with 2000 W and a separate 1000 W light for effect or additional lighting. So, all together 3300 W halogen power. In Europe with 230 V installation, a standard 16 Amp fuse can hold this without any problems.
Pedro
------------------
-
March 29th, 2002, 03:37 AM
#5
Inactive Member
I've used the Wal-Mart halogen lights for still studio work with good results. I used a 1000 watt primary light, a 500 watt fill and 250 watts for hair. Using ASA 100 film @ f/3.5 the indicated shutter speed was 1/30 sec. I used tungsten balanced film and of course I took the cages out.
With a total of almost 200 watts on the set the models did mention the heat.
-
March 30th, 2002, 06:16 AM
#6
Inactive Member
Nigel, why dont' you like the Lowel pro lights?
I have a couple I use for skip lighting,and I like them. Not enough light to light a room for K-40 though, is that why you said dont' use them?
Anyway, I started out using those shop lights when I started too, and I must say, I don't like the way they look, especially with K-40.
They are really too orange, in my opinion.
The best thing in my opinion if you're on a budget, (and cheaper than the shop lights) is the old movie lights that use 650 watt PAR lamps in them.
You can get them on ebay for $1.00 - $15.00, and they are bright as **** .
Just type in 650 watt, or Lotta-Lite (my favorites!) or "movie light" in the ebay search field, and a bunch will come up.
Get 3 or 4, aim one or two of them at the ceiling for fill light.
Plenty bright enough, and nice bright, white (not orange) light.
If you get the Lotta-Lites, you can hand-hold them, mount them on a tripod screw, or get adapters to mount them on a 5/8 baby pin (typical light stand).
I have amassed a collection of about 8,000 watts of these babies, grouped them into boxes with two or three in them, etc., and a bunch for spare bulbs.
I really love these lights!
Matt Pacini
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules
Bookmarks